MedPlant Midterm List of Dissemination at International conferences and meetings.
Fellows and PIs have also presented their research and MedPlant at numerous Departmental seminars at their hosts and collaborators. These are not listed here.
10th Annual Symposium of the Swiss Ethnobology Network.
- Staub P (ESR8) “A students’ perspective on MedPlant”. Oral presentation.
International MedPlant conference on “Evolution, selection and protection of medicinal plants”, Bern, Switzerland, February 2017.
The conference presented the results of MedPlant and discussed a new agenda for medicinal plant research for the future. The conference was also a great opportunity for extending the legacy of MedPlant through invitation of external research collaborators and young scientists in the field, who were also be able to present their own work. The conference was hosted and organised by MedPlant and Prof. Jürg Gertsch, University of Bern.
The 8th Symposium of International Association of Lichenology. August 5 to 9, 2016, Helsinki, Finland. http://ial8.luomus.fi/
- Xu M (ESR2), Heidmarsson S, Olafsdottir ES, Thorsteinsdottir M, Omarsdottir. Chemo-systematics and evolution of Icelandic cetrarioid lichens (Parmeliaceae) and the Cetraria islandica species complex. (poster)
16th International Congress on Ethnopharmacology. May 16 to 18, 2016, Yulin, China. http://www.ethnopharmacology.org
- Backlund A. Bioactivity mapping of chemical property space – possible applications in ethno-pharmacological research. (oral presentation).
- Geck M (ESR7). The taste of heat: Humoral and chemosensory qualities as selection criteria for herbal medicine among the Zoque of Chiapas, Mexico. (oral presentation).
JNPC 2016 – 64th International Congress (Joint Meeting with ASP, AFERP, JSP, PSE and SIF) and Annual Meeting of GA. July 24-27, 2016. Copenhagen. http://www.conferencemanager.dk/JointNaturalProductsConference2016/home.html
- Ernst M (ESR5). Molecular phylogenetics as a predictive tool in plant-based drug discovery in the genus Euphorbia L. (Young Scientists Symposium, oral presentation).
- Ernst M (ESR5): Molecular phylogenetics as a predictive tool in plant-based drug discovery in the genus Euphorbia L. (poster).
- Astrid Henz A (ESR1), Buonfiglio R (ER1), Kogej T, Backlund A. Phylogenetic relationships through the lens of chemo-informatic methods (oral presentation).
- Backlund A. Bioactivity mapping of chemical property space – possible applications in natural products research (oral presentation).
- Rønsted N. The Quest for Cinchona (special event talk).
- Martinez K (ESR3), Toft Simonsen H, Rønsted N, Andersen TB, Barnes CJ, Boughton B, Cozzi F. Domesticating deadly carrots: Predicting the biosynthetic pathway of thapsigargins for the treatment of solid tumors. (poster and prize for best poster).
- Ahl LI, Pedersen HL, Willats WGT, Rønsted N, Grace OM. Investigation of polysaccharide composition in medicinal and non-medicinal aloes. (poster).
- Gramkow MH, Ernst M (ESR5), Rønsted N, Dunn RR, Saslis-Lagoudakis CH. Phylogenetics of psychoactive plants in neuro-targeted bioprospecting. (poster).
- Xu M (ESR2), Eiriksson FF, Olafsdottir ES, Heidmarsson S, Thorsteinsdottir, Omarsdottir S. Multidimensional metabolomics approach using UPLC-ion mobility high-resolution mass spectrometry for the characterization of lichen secondary metabolites: an application to chemosystematics (poster).
3rd Endocannabinoid pharmacology meeting. October 13th 2016. Bern, Switzerland.
- Guha S (ER2), Calarco S, Gertsch J. Investigations on the endocannabinoid system in Caenorhabditis elegans. (Poster)
9th Swiss Pharma Science Day. August 31st 2016. Bern, Switzerland.
- Guha S (ER2), Calarco S, Otanez SG ,Gertsch J. Discovery of New C20 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and Endocannabinoid-Like Molecules in Caenorhabditis elegans. (Poster)
Symposium Netzwerks Ethnobiologie Schweiz, Neuchatel 27th February 2016.
- Selliah S (ER9), Incense plants: The mystery behind their smoke. Oral presentation.
Congrès International de la Biodiversité Vegetale. Marakech, Morocco, October 9-11th 2015. http://www.cibv2015.com/
- Teixidor-Toneu I (ESR6), Martin GJ, Ouhammou A, Puri RK, Hawkins JA. 2015. Medicinal flora of the Rural Commune of Imegdale (High Atlas, Morocco). (Poster).
- Teixidor-Toneu I (ESR6), Rankou H, Ouhammou A, Martin GJ. 2015. The potential of vulnerable medicinal plant cultivation as a strategy to enhance the rural community’ livelihoods: Case study of two rural Amazigh community, Ait M’hamed and Imegdale. (Oral Presentation).
2nd Endocannabinoid pharmacology meeting. October 29th -30th 2016. Bern, Switzerland.
- Guha S (ER2), Kane R, Koch E, Gertsch J. Investigating the Eicosanoid Pathway in Caenorhabditis elegans to Identify Novel Serine Hydrolase Inhibitors. (Poster)
5th PES International Conference Next Generation Pharmacist In Pharmaceutical Industry and In Clinical Practice – 17th & 18th October 2015, Bangalore, India.
- Leonti M. Reverse Ethnopharmacology and Drug Discovery (Oral presentation).
3rd Congreso Boliviano de Botanica. Sucre, Bolivia. October 12-14th, 2015. https://sites.google.com/site/congresobolivianobotanica2015/
- Rønsted. Phylogenetic exploration of medicinal plant diversity. Can the evolutionary history of plants help guide better healthcare, new leads, and sustainable use of medicinal plants? (Oral presentation).
63rd International Congress and Annual Meeting of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Product Research (GA). August 23-27, 2015. Budapest, Hungary. www.ga2015.hu/
- Backlund B, Buonfiglio R (ER1), Henz A (ESR1), Vikeved E, Lai K-H, Kogej T. Charting biological activity in chemical property space using ChemGPS-NP (oral presentation by A Backlund).
Systematic Association Biennial 2015. Systematics – the science that underpins biology. University of Oxford. August 26-28th, 2015. http://www.systass.org/biennial2015/
- Ernst M (ESR5), C.H. Saslis-Lagoudakis, O.M. Grace, N. Nilsson, H. Toft Simonsen, J.W. Horn & N. Rønsted. From medicinal use to phylogenetic prediction in drug discovery in the genus Euphorbia L.: Classification of medicinal uses have major influence on data interpretation (Oral presentation by ESR5 M Ernst).
- Rønsted, C. Maldonado, C. Cornett, S.H. Hansen, C. Persson & A. Antonelli. The quest for Cinchona – a phylogenetic tale. (Oral presentation by N. Rønsted).
- Cámara-Leret, S. Fuarby, M.J. Macía, H. Balslev, B. Göldel, W.D. Kissling, N. Paniagua-Zambrana, N. Rønsted, J.-C. Svenning & C.H. Saslis-Lagoudakis. Traits involved in human selection of useful South American palms.
6th Nordic Natural Products Conference, Gotland, Sweden, June 15-16 th, 2015. http://www.fkog.uu.se/nnpc
- E. Einarsdottir, M. Thorsteinsdottir, J. Freysdottir, C. H. Gotfredsen, S. Omarsdottir. Immunomodulatory effects of novel N-acyl dopamine derivatives, myxillin A, B and C from the sponge Myxilla incrustans collected at submarine geothermal chimneys in Northern Iceland. (Oral presentation by S. Omarsdottir).
- T. B. Andersen, C. Q. López, K. Martinez (ESR3), H. Toft Simonsen. The quest for large amounts of Thapsigargin. (Oral presentation by HT Simonsen).
- N. Rønsted. Phylogenetic exploration of medicinal plant diversity. Can the evolutionary history of plants help guide better healthcare, new leads, and sustainable use of medicinal plants? (Oral presentation).
- M. Ernst (ESR5), C. H. Saslis-Lagoudakis, O. M. Grace, N. Nilsson, H. T. Simonsen, J. W. Horn, N. Rønsted. From ethnomedicine to phylogenetic prediction in drug discovery in the genus Euphorbia: Suggestions for a new classification system of diseases (Oral presentation by ESR5).
- R. Buonfiglio (ER1), O. Engkvist, A. Backlund, and T. Kogej. How to navigate the chemical space using ChemGPS-NP: validation study and application to Natural Products (Poster presented by ER1).
- A. Henz (ESR1), A. Backlund. Tracing evolution of sesquiterpene lactones in chemical property space. (Poster presentation by ESR1). Best poster Prize 3rd place.
- S. Pakzad, A. Henz (ESR1), A. Backlund. Sesquiterpene lactones and their bioactivities in the family Chloranthaceae. (Poster presentation by A. Pakzad).
- N. E. Iwanycki (ESR4), N. Zerega, H. C. Bruun-Hansen, H. Toft Simonsen, and N. Rønsted. Plantago major L. Travel tales of a worldwide weed. Predicting chemotypes from migration routes and habitats. (Poster presentation by ESR4).
- X.-X. Di, J. T. Oskarsson, I. Hardardottir, J. Freysdottir and S. Omarsdottir. Bio-guided fractionation of immunomodulatory compounds from the marine sponge Halicondria sitiens. (Poster presentation by XX DI).
- H. Saslis-Lagoudakis, S. Bruun-Lund, N. E. Iwanycki (ESR4), O. Seberg, G. Petersen, A. K. Jäger, N. Rønsted. Straight from the horse’s mouth: Thin Layer Chromatography versus DNA barcoding identification of common horsetail (Equisetum arvense L.; Equisetaceae). (Poster presentation by ESR4).
- Xu M (ESR2), Heidmarsson, Thorsteinsdottir M, Einarsdottir E, Olafsdottir ES, Omarsdottir S. Phytochemistry and phylogeny of Icelandic cetrarioid lichens. (Poster presentation by S. Omarsdottir).
Symposium on Tropical Plant Collections: Legacies from the past? Essential tools for the future? The Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters, Copenhagen. 19-21 May, 2015.
N. Rønsted. The future of drug discovery – are collections needed? (Oral presentation).
15th International Congress of the International Society for Ethnopharmacology, Petra, Jordan. 5-8, May, 2015. http://15icse.bau.edu.jo
- P. Staub (ESR8). “Shaping of medicinal plant use: A phylogenetic and organoleptic approach”. (Oral presentation by ESR8) 2014
2nd International Congress of the Society for Ethnopharmacology (SFE – India). Nagpur, India February 20th -22nd 2015.
Leonti, M. “Ethnopharmacology and drug discovery – Evolutionary Considerations”. (Oral presentation). 2014
International Congress of Ethnobotany, ICEB 2014, Cordoba Spain, 17th-21st November 2014. http://www.etnobotanica2014.com/#!home/c1zco
- N. Rønsted. Phylogenetic exploration of medicinal plant diversity. Can the evolutionary history of plants help guide better healthcare, new leads, conservation, sustainble use and agriculture of medicinal plants? (Oral presentation).
UNESCO conference Botanists in the 21st Century, Paris, France, 22-25th September, 2014.
MedPlant hosted a workshop entitled “Medicinal Plant Research – where next” at the UNESCO conference Botanists in the 21st Century in Paris 22-25 September 2014 with over 100 participants creating significant interest in the MedPlant training program.
- K. Martinez (ESR3), NE. Iwanycki (ESR4), M. Ernst (ESR5), I. Texidor (ESR6), M. Kreutzer (ESR11), P. Wennekes (ESR12), V. Manzanilla (ESR13), J. Hawkins, G. Martin, N. Rønsted. MedPlant hosted a workshop entitled “Medicinal Plant Research – where next” including 2 min presentations by 6 fellows and introduction by PIs.
- 3 of the fellows did a small interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLwyfcLrs14
At the conference also a final declaration was written, available http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/SC/pdf/ConfBotanist_Final-declaration-2014-eng.pdf and it may result in the UN to declare 2017 as the “International Year of Plants for Life”
20th EuroQSAR – Understanding Chemical-Biological interactions, St. Petersburg, Russia – August 31st -September 4th, 2014.
- R. Buonfiglio (ER1), Kogej T, Backlund A, and Engkvist OR. Correlating evolutionary and chemical space using ChemGPS-NP. (Poster presentation by ER1).
15th Nordic Meeting on Tropical Botany, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 13-15th, 2014.
- N. Iwanycki (ESR4), N. Rønsted. Plantago major L. Travel tales of a worldwide weed. Predicting chemotypes from migration routes and habitats. (Oral presentation by ESR4).
62nd International Congress and Annual Meeting of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Product Research – GA2014. Guimarães, Portugal August 31st – September 4th, 2014. http://ga2014.bio.uminho.pt/sci-programme.php
- A. Backlund. The odd fellow – benefits of anomaly. (Oral presentation at Young Researchers Workshop by A. Backlund).
Jornades d’Etnobotànica en Llengua Catalana (VII Ethnobotany Symposium in Catalan Language) in Llívia, Catalonia, 4-6 July 2014.
- I. Teixidor (ESR6). Talking at the feet of Himalaya. Transmission of knowledge about medicinal plants in Nepal. (Oral presentation by ESR6).
MedPlant at the PHYTOPHARM 2014 congress in St. Petersburg 3-4 July, 2014
- A. Backlund. Practical applications of ChemGPS-NP in (semi) natural products research. (Oral Presentation by A. Backlund).
14th Congress of the International Society of Ethnobiology. Bhutan, 1-7th June 2014. http://isecongress2014bhutan.org
- M. Costigan (ESR9), An investigation of the cultural and pharmacological driving forces directing plant selection for incense use (Poster presentation by ESR9)
Botanical Ontologies – a cross-disciplinary forum on human-plant-interactions” conference, Oxford, UK, 16-17 May, 2014. www.botanicalontologies.wordpress.com/
- M. Kreuzer (ESR11), I. Teixidor (ESR6), P. Wennekes (ESR12) and Julie Hawkins. The MedPlant International Training Network: patterns in knowledge of medicinal plants. (Poster presentation by ESR6, ESR11 and ESR12).
- M. Costigan (ESR9), An investigation of the cultural and pharmacological driving forces directing plant selection for incense use (Poster presentation by ESR9).
PhD Astrid Henz presented her project in Uppsala
MedPlant student Astrid Henz, Uppsala University, presented her project at the “Finn Sandberg Symposium” in Uppsala 14 April 2014.
PhD Meadhbh Costigan presented her work at two international congresses in Bhutan and Oxford
MedPlant student Meadhbh Costigan, University of Zürich, has presented her research proposal at the International Society of Ethnobiology Congress in June 2014 in Bhutan.
Finn Sandberg Symposium. Uppsala, 14 April 2014.
Backlund A. Recent applications of ChemGPS-NP in Natural Products Research. (oral presentation).
Henz A (ESR1). Evolutionary Footsteps in Chemical Property Space. (Oral presentation by ESR1). Future dissemination
International MedPlant conference on “Evolution, selection and protection of medicinal plants”, Zürich, Switzerland, February 2017.