Department: MedPlant Fellows
Position: Post.doc., AstraZeneca, Sweden
I come from the south of Italy, but I lived in Bologna for 10 years, where I did my master and PhD. I am interested in Computational chemistry and medicinal chemistry in general and I am really excited to learn more about the drug discovery world in a big pharmaceutical company like AstraZeneca after doing my PhD in academia.
Although my PhD projects concerned the application of computational approaches slightly different from my MedPlant plan, I feel lucky to have the opportunity to spend my Post doc in learning new methods and build a strong career in an international network.
MedPlant project: Correlating evolutionary and chemical space using ChemGPS-NP.
- 04/2014: PhD in Chemistry (subject: Computational Chemistry) – University of Bologna
- 02-08/2013: Visiting scholar – University of San Diego, California
- 03/2010: Master degree in Medicinal Chemistry and Technology – University of Bologna
- Collecting and assessing human lactate dehydrogenase-A conformations for structure-based virtual screening. Buonfiglio R, Ferraro M, Falchi F, Cavalli A, Masetti M, Recanatini M. J Chem Inf Model. 2013;53(11):2792-7.
- Computational design and discovery of “minimally structured” hERG blockers. Cavalli A, Buonfiglio R, Ianni C, Masetti M, Ceccarini L, Caves R, Chang MW, Mitcheson JS, Roberti M, Recanatini M. J Med Chem. 2012;55(8):4010-4.
- Galloflavin (CAS 568-80-9): a novel inhibitor of lactate dehydrogenase. Manerba M, Vettraino M, Fiume L, Di Stefano G, Sartini A, Giacomini E, Buonfiglio R, Roberti M, Recanatini M. ChemMedChem. 2012;7(2):311-7.
Why did you want to become part of MedPlant?
It is a great opportunity to work in an international network and I really like brainstorming with researchers with different background.
What do you hope to achieve as part of MedPlant?
Improving my knowledge about Natural Products and being able to understand the concepts at the basis of other disciplines complementary to computational chemistry.
What do you hope to do after MedPlant?
Working in a pharmaceutical company and applying what I have learned thanks to MedPlant network in new projects.